Monday, May 21, 2007

Perplexity

When I think of the word "perplexity", there is only one issue that comes to my mind. It bothers me constantly, and it is impossible to determine. It isn't for a lack of knowledge, for there isn't any knowledge to be had.
There is a notion I have about some kind of fourth dimension. Not exactly time travel, but something beyond that. It could be considered about some kind of religion, or the soul, but I generally only see it as a baffling issue that I will never debunk.
From several movies, books and musings of others, collectively, I have seen trends of time travel in culture. Were time travel real, it would mean we already had some kind of destiny or fate. You could not go to your future if your future didn't yet exist. However, I have been thinking - what if there were no definitive end, where you went to heaven or hell or into the ground or whichever said destination - what if you were constantly alive on all planes? You could be sixty and four at the same time, and you would never know it from moment-to-moment, because you would have the thoughts corrosponding to your age. You would be being at all levels at one time, and not on a track that led simply to the end.
Since I saw an old movie called, "The Time Machine", I have been racketing my brain for possibilities scientifically. It seems completely plausible to me. In the movie, a man was to presents his mini-model of his time machine to his colleagues who were skeptical. He brought out the model and set it to be some number of years in the future. For whichever reason, the time machine was no longer there. His colleagues mocked him, but he simply replied that it WAS there, just in the future. Some could grasp it and some could not. It was in the same place, just some number of years ahead. The table it was on could be a rock, or a mountain, or there could be no surface at all. Think about it - you could be existing on all levels right now.
One day I woke up completely baffled, thinking, what if when I went to sleep last night, I was four years old? I would wake up this morning and not know it at all, because I have the thoughts given to me on the timeline at my age. You would never know. You could wake up tomorrow, and be seventy, and you would never know. It takes thinking to grasp anything like this - you wouldn't know, because you would have the thoughts given to you at the age of seventy.
It sounds like some crazy philosophic notion, but it is what constantly perplexes me. It also perplexes me that people cannot grasp this - they lack the deep thinking needed to examine the possibilities. It's not that I definitely believe in this timeline structure, it's just that I think it's extremely possible that it could exist. It's one of those wonders of the universe that will never be reavealed to us, and that it why we ponder.

No comments: